Monday, July 31, 2017

Instrumental

Instrumental:A Memoir of Madness, Medication and Music by James Rhodes     304 pages

This memoir is unapologetic, candid, outspoken, bold, somewhat harrowing and at times, a little funny.  It's less about his life than it is about the therapeutic powers of music and how his passion for music has been his lifeline (and saved his life).  Each chapter begins with him writing about a particular piece of music and included at the beginning is a link to a site where you can hear all of these pieces.  I liked that bit, because you can read the chapter, then go back and listen to that particular piece.

Admittedly, I found parts of this book difficult to read, which is expected because Rhodes has lived through some pretty horrendous abuse.  I also didn't find him likeable. Interesting enough to read this memoir, yes, but I wouldn't want to have him for dinner, and I definitely think his intensity about classical music would wear me out.  And that's coming from someone who has studied classical piano.  However, I can appreciate his writing about music, and how it can be transformative and life-changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment