Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Boundless

Boundless by Jillian Tamaki.  248 pages

This collection of short stories takes a blend of realism and humor and mixes it with distinctive art to create an interesting exploration of the lives of different women. One woman, post-breakup, becomes obsessed with the mirror Facebook of herself, imagining a life that she could live.  In another story, a woman finds she is steadily shrinking in size, the world around her at first being scary and then receding.

I enjoyed some stories more than others, but that's typical for me when I'm reading short stories. I appreciated how the art in this book gave the stories an emotional feel -- words without the art would fall completely flat, I think.  Not my favorite graphic novel, but an interesting read. I'd suggest this for readers who enjoy Adrian Tomine's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment