Tuesday, July 11, 2017

A Walk in the Woods

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson      Audio Book: 9 hours, 51 minutes   Paperback Book:  397 pages        

This is the funniest book I have listened to in a long time.   I first saw the movie, then when I saw it was based on the true story by Bill Bryson I had to read it.    I love this man’s writing.   I will now read everything by him I can find.    I laughed out loud so hard almost all the way through it.    It took me forever to finish it because I kept playing it over – it was that good.   Especially when he is describing what he would do if he saw a bear (this was before he started the trip).    You will be rolling!   And he really does encounter bear along the way and it is hilarious.     I thoroughly enjoyed this book.    It is not just funny, Bill Bryson also gives you a lot of information about the trail, a lot of insight to what it is truly like being there.   He points out the differences in the trail and the people in the various states and I laughed so hard about the joy he found being able to straddle two states Tennessee and North Carolina at points along the A.T. as hikers call it.    This was a trail of friendship, of survival and of hilarity like when his buddy meets up with a big lady whose unmentionables are stuck in the washer at a laundromat (in a little town they stop at)  and he helps to release them from the agitator only to later be chased by the lady’s agitated husband!  So many funny things happen and man these guys went through some rough stuff.   GREAT STORY.    Treat yourself to it.   You will enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment