Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Strange Weather

Strange Weather: Four Short Novels by Joe Hill.  read 200 of 448 pages of a galley (due out in September, 2017).

I was excited to grab a galley of this book because I feel like Joe Hill is an author whose books just get better and better as he continues writing.  Unfortunately, I only got through the second story before I gave the book away (and it was totally worth it, as it was another author I really admire, who, as it turns out, is a fan of Joe Hill).

The first story, "Snapshot," focuses on a teenage boy in California who finds himself inadvertently crossing paths with "The Phoenician," a man who at first seems creepy but then turns downright scary.  This man possesses a Polaroid Instant Camera that doesn't just take your photo; it erases your memories, snap by awful snap.  Our main character crosses paths with him and then by accident, finds himself the focus of The Phoenician's wrath.  Scary, but insightful about relationships, adolescence, and memories.  Also a memorable story and one I'm looking forward to reading again when the book is published.

The second story, "Loaded," was the one I got more than halfway through.  In this story, a mall security guard courageously stops a mass shooting and becomes a hero. However, when he is then in the spotlight for this good deed, his story about what happened starts to unravel. Lots of layers in this story with a few viewpoints to give a 360-degree view of the event that our main character gets involved in.  I have no idea what happens next, and knowing Joe Hill, I know better than to make any assumptions.

So, waiting now until the book gets ordered in September (or, if I can find a good price, until I can just order it for myself!).

No comments:

Post a Comment