Saturday, July 29, 2017

Sour Heart

Sour Heart by Jenny Zhang.   320 pages

This series of stories is centered around a community of immigrants from China and Taiwan who live at the poverty line in 1990s New York City.  They explore the ways that family and history can lift people up, but also weigh them down, and how the children of immigrants can struggle with fitting in to a new society, while still staying true to their families.

Call me sour, but I didn't love this book. The stories were interesting, but I never felt much of a connection to any of the characters. I enjoy how fiction allows me to learn about different people and cultures, and explore different kinds of lives. However, I just never quite connected to these stories, as as much as I found it an okay read, determined I'm just not the reader for this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment