Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Afterschool Charisma Volumes 1 -8 by Kumiko Suekane, 1579 pages – 8 Volumes

Cover image for Afterschool Charisma is about a school named St. Kleio. But what makes St. Kleio unique is its clientele, all of the students are clones of famous historical figures, all of them except for Shirou. Shirou is just a normal kid whose father is one of the leading scientist working with the clones. Being the only “human” in the bunch causes all sorts of problems. But when recently graduated clone Kennedy gets assassinated much like his predecessor, everyone is left wondering are they destined to die the same as the originals, or can they live their own life.

I had come across this series some time ago but thought it looked too high school life for my tastes. I don’t need a book on how rough it is to fit in in high school. I have been there and done that, sure I could look back and reflect on that time, but I would rather not. I don’t think I ever would have read this series, if it had not come up as a recommendation on a book site. There I read the reviews, and what the series was about and decided is more about questioning free will vs fate, or destiny then fitting in. Having argued about free will in both high school and college, I wanted to see what argument Suekane would make.

Overall I found this series to be adequate. It never really distinguished itself in any major way, but then again never failed in any major way. You can certainly read it to pass the time, but I found it to be a book you read and forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment