Monday, January 11, 2016

Works Well With Others

Cover image for Works Well with OthersWorks Well With Others: An outsider's guide to shaking hands, shutting up, handling jerks and other crucial skills in business that no one ever teaches you by Ross McCammon.  254 pages.

This book is written by a senior editor at Esquire magazine, and focuses on business etiquette.  Chapters include: How to be interviewed, How to have a first day on the job, How to smile, and more.

Okay, I was expecting a little more business from this book.  McCammon's writing style is humorous, but I felt like the tips here would apply to young men under 30.  At least, most of it felt like that.   I had seen the title and was curious.   After all, it could be helpful to read some new insights into business/work interactions.   However, I felt like personally, this wasn't aimed at me.   With a background in the business world, I felt like I had a good handle on many of the things covered here.   But, if you're starting out in a new career, you could find some helpful tips here.  This is the kind of book I'd hand out to my cousin's son who's just entering the workforce.

I will point out that I took some notes on the chapter called "How to Work With Someone Who Clearly Resents You."   Not that I'm saying anything about the people I work with, but he had some good advice here (which I'll keep in my back pocket, just in case).


1 comment:

  1. I started reading this, too; but I felt like even the author knows that the only things you're really going to care about are so few and far between that he has taken the time to put them in bold so that you can skim for them. Which... felt... like maybe this whole book could have just been a Buzzfeed list. So yeah- a few good tips and notes, but... not enough, imho. :)

    ReplyDelete