Tuesday, January 26, 2016

How to Slowly Kill Yourself and Others in America

Cover image for How to Slowly Kill Yourself and Others in America by Kiese Laymon, 148 pages

This is not the type of book I normally read. There is very little action, no mythical creatures, and is certainly not steampunkish. In fact this book is so completely opposite what I normally read, I never would have even come across it, if it had not been for the book group I joined. That in its self is not a bad thing. I joined because I needed to find new books to read, and even better people to discuss them with over a couple of beers. But this book really tried my patience. In fact I will even go so far to say, that if I had not needed to read it for the group, I would not have finished it.
Through essays, letters and confessions the reader skips and jumps through the life of Kiese. Along the way you encounter various forms of racism, violence, and pop culture seen firsthand through his eyes. I would like to say that the story was motivating or inspiring, but the best I can truly say is that it left me confused. While most of my confusion was the result of pop culture references that went over my head, I had a sense of confusion about what he was trying to say. Is the message just to keep trying? I know he wasn’t trying to solve any of the problems with racism, as he says he does not have the answers. Maybe there is no message, maybe this is simply a piece of his life he felt needed shared.

I am not sure which types of readers would enjoy this book so I am not going to recommend it to anyone, but if you do happen to read it, and feel like talking about it stop on by.

 A note for the fellow bus riders out there. Reading this book on the bus, with the title plainly shown, has resulted in no one sitting near me. Results may vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment