Saturday, January 30, 2016

This is where it ends

This is Where it Ends by Marieke Nijkamp          282 pages

In 54 minutes, terror reigns as one student takes a school auditorium hostage.  

Told from four different viewpoints, some inside the auditorium, this story focuses on a horrific school shooting.   I found this to be a pretty quick read, although it left me with mixed feelings after finishing it.   So, I went on Goodreads to see what other readers thought.   As it turns out, I wasn't the only reader left feeling a bit disappointed.

One of the things I enjoyed about the book was that the characters were diverse.  I had expected this, since the author is an executive member of We Need Diverse Books.   It was a little surprising that there would be this amount of diversity in such a small school, but I didn't have a problem believing it.  What I didn't like was that I felt like the characters were a bit flat.  I understand that in the span of 54 minutes, you can't get to know them very well, but I felt like for a few of them, I was coming in after the book had already started, like I was supposed to know things about a character already.   And, I kept mixing up a few of the characters.  Considering how much diversity there is here, it should have been easier for me to tell them apart, or at least get a clearer picture of each of them in my head.

I think the biggest disappointment for me is that you don't get anything about the kid who is the shooter, other than general impression that he is "evil."  But, I had expected more.  Maybe his perspective at some point?  But when all you have is the perspectives from other students, it's hard to get a good picture.   Issues get brought up in the story, but they are just touched on, or barely mentioned at all.   Again, I understand that this is all supposed to take place in 54 minutes, but I felt there could have been more here to offer a reader.  


No comments:

Post a Comment