Saturday, January 16, 2016

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith.  235 pages.

7061This is the first novel in the series, and centers around Precious Ramotswe, who has opened the first detective agency in the town of Gaborone.  Whether it's tracking down a husband, uncovering a con man, or finding a missing boy, Precious is up for the task.

I went into this with an assumption that it would be a mystery, focusing more on one particular case.  Instead, it is a series of things that Precious solves, as she figures out how to be a detective.  Relying mostly on her intuition and smarts, she alternates between coming off as very naive one moment, to very wise the next moment.   While I liked her, and I enjoyed the book, I'm not sure if I'll pursue more in the series.  So, an entertaining read, but not enough of a mystery for my mystery taste.

The link in the title takes you to everything in the Library's catalog.   This series of books was made into a series on HBO, which the Library has on DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment