Friday, January 29, 2016

Twenty Seventh City

The Twenty Seventh City by Jonathan Franzen, 517 pages

Cover image for St. Louis, Missouri, is slowly falling off the map. Once hailed as the fourth largest it has fallen to twenty seventh. Crime is up, and businesses are fleeing for the county, or elsewhere. But the new police chief, named S. Jammu intends to fix all of that. But as crime figures drop a series of political terrorist attacks rock the city. Though she vows to find and stop these terrorist, people cannot help but notice the attacks seem to be helping Jammu more than hurting the city.
I read this book after hearing two coworkers talking about Franzen’s work. This piqued my interest and so I started at the beginning. At first I really liked this book. It used neighborhoods I am familiar with, and I could really picture the buildings and intersections as he mentioned them. But as the book went on, I became more and more frustrated with Franzen’s change of scenes. There was the classic blank line to let you know that he had hopped characters, but no introductory line to let you know to whom you were now reading about. Eventually this could be extrapolated from the text, but at times this took many paragraphs. I even caught myself skimming ahead to find out whose storyline I was in. If it wasn’t for this vagueness, I think the book would have been great, but as it is I can only call it good.
The Twenty Seventh City certainly merits reading, especially if you are from St. Louis or lived here long enough to know the area. It is sad to say, but I could easily see this book being played out today.

No comments:

Post a Comment