Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Half of a Yellow Sun

Cover image for Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, 433 pages

Half of a Yellow Sun is a historical fiction novel that takes place during Biafra’s attempt at independence from Nigeria in the 1960’s. We are guided through the winding narrative by the main characters, Ugwu the houseboy, Odenigbo his master and a local professor, and Olanna the professor’s mistress, also to a lesser extent Richard a write and Kainene, Olanna’s sister.
Half of a Yellow Sun is another book I read for a book group, but unlike the previous blogged about book, this one was up my alley, or at least near my ally. While it had little in common with the historic fiction by Turtledove that I do read, I found it to be at worst bearable, and at times even enjoyable.

But what I truly liked about this book was how Chimamanda choose to end the book. It is sadly too rare for a book end in such a fashion, and for that I instantly thought better of this book.

Note: This is not the cover my edition had, but this seems to be an accepted version.

No comments:

Post a Comment