Sunday, July 22, 2018

In an Absent Dream (Wayward Children #4)

In an Absent Dream (Wayward Children #4) by Seanan McGuire    204 pages  I read a galley - book will be published in January, 2019

Lundy is a serious girl who would rather study, read and dream than grow up, become a housewife and live up to the expectations of the people around her. And why not, after all? When she finds a doorway to a world that is founded on logic and reason, where you give and expect fair value in return, she thinks she's found her paradise. Of course, everything costs, especially at the goblin market. Lundy believes she understands fair value, although when her time in this world is drawing close to ending, she makes a bargain. However, this kind of bargain never plays out well . . . for anyone.

This is the fourth book in McGuire's Wayward Children series and while I have loved all of the books so far, this is the one I loved the most. McGuire paints her characters and her worlds in such a way that you become instantly immersed and I felt the character of Lundy resonated the most with me out of all of the books (so far).  The motto of this world when Lundy enters it is "Be Sure," and you begin to understand the seriousness of that as Lundy does, so you experience the story with her.  This world holds some unforgettable characters, some of whom you're not sure if you can completely trust, so there is a sense of danger that runs through this story.

I found this book to be absolutely beautiful and will admit that by the end, it broke my heart (although I have a sliver of hope left). As soon as I finished it, I wanted to read it again --- definitely the sign of a great story!

No comments:

Post a Comment