Thursday, July 5, 2018

The Death of Mrs. Westaway

The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware     368 pages

Hal's made a life for herself, even though she's struggling a little.  Well, actually, struggling pretty badly. Bills are piling up and the moneylender she used months ago is knocking on her door. When a mysterious letter arrives telling her that she's to receive a substantial inheritance, Hal's sure they have the wrong person. However, she's curious to know more, especially since her mother never mentioned any family.  Soon, Hal finds herself at the funeral of the deceased and meeting people in a family that seems to be hiding some pretty dark secrets. Is she actually related to them?  Do they have anything to do with the death of her mother? And just what the hell is wrong with that housekeeper who's so mean to Hal?

Well, of course, you have to read to find out.  Every time there's a new book coming from this author, I make sure I'm close to the top of the holds list. I find her stories to be entertaining and compulsively readable --- I literally set aside a chunk of time so I can whip my way through her books.  I really liked this book and enjoyed how Ware sets the story up and then slowly develops it, even as you sense a steadily increasing pace. I liked Hal as a character, too; she's easy to relate to and interesting.

Good book!!

No comments:

Post a Comment