Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Behind Her Eyes

Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough.  320 pages.  Due out January, 2017.  I read an e-galley of this book.

It's tricky to write a summary and review of this book without any spoiler, but I'll do my best.  Louise, a single mom, meets a man in a bar and sparks fly. Thrilled that she's connected with someone, it's a huge blow when she gets to work on Monday and learns the man from the bar is her new boss, David.  Determined to keep things professional, especially since he is married, Louise keeps her eyes on her work. When she bumps into Adele, who is new in town and in need of a friend, things seem to be looking up . . . until she discovers that Adele is David's wife.  Awkward, to say the least.  And then, things start to get weird and Louise discovers that the more she learns about David and Adele, the more questions she has.

By the time I got to the end of this book, I found myself thinking "this is a really strange book." It's a love triangle that's all twisted, and the more you think you know, the more you realize you're just guessing at it.  You get perspectives from Louise and Adele, and as the book continues, it becomes clear that something's off about Adele. Really off.  There's definitely some suspension of disbelief that you have to have in this book, although I won't say more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment