Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Beartown

Beartown by Fredrik Backman, 418 pages

You can see Sara's review here:
http://slplbookchallenge.blogspot.com/2018/02/beartown.html

I am late to the party and don't have much different to say but liked this book so much that I feel I have to add my review.

This novel is set in a small Swedish town. It is a remote town that is on the downswing. A large part of it is about a junior hockey team. The success of the hockey team could return the town to better times by attracting a national hockey training facility.

The beginning of the novel lets you know something major will happen but then it rewinds and it is not until almost the end of novel that you get back to that point.

With the dedication and intensity shown towards the hockey team, I can see the events of this book occurring in the U.S. although it would more likely be football than hockey.

The book is about hockey and sports but is also about family, parenthood and life in general. There were several parts that were hard to read but I just had to push through them. I rate this book pretty highly and would recommend it to hockey fans and people who like fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment