Saturday, August 4, 2018

The Cost of Living

The Cost of Living by Deborah Levy     144 pages 

I had put this book on hold but when I picked it up, I couldn't remember why. When I looked it up, the description was "The Cost of Living explores the subtle erasure of women's names, spaces, and stories in the modern everyday. In this “living autobiography” infused with warmth and humor, Deborah Levy critiques the roles that society assigns to us, and reflects on the politics of breaking with the usual gendered rituals. What does it cost a woman to unsettle old boundaries and collapse the social hierarchies that make her a minor character in a world not arranged to her advantage?"

So, that sounds like the kind of book I'd find interesting.  For the most part, I liked this book. It took me a bit to adjust to the author's writing style, but I found I was enjoying her observations on her life. She writes in a way that makes me want to listen to this as an audiobook because I'd curious about what her speaking voice sounds like. At times, she writes in a very abstract way, where there's an almost academic feel to what you're reading; at least, that was my reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment