Thursday, August 30, 2018

Summer at Little Beach Street Bakery

Summer at Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan      306 pages = 200 pages from audiobook = 506 pages

I enjoyed the first book so much that I picked this one up.  I tried it in audiobook first, and it was a good listen . . . but I found myself getting impatient to know what was going to happen in the story.  So, I wound up getting the book and reading it.  I wound up reading the whole thing because I had been listening in the car and had missed a few parts (also, one of the discs was dirty and had a bunch of skips).

This book picks up where the first book ended. Polly is in love with Huckle, they're sharing the lighthouse (with Neil the puffin, of course!), and Polly is running the Little Beach Street Bakery.  Of course, nothing can go smoothly for too long and when the woman who actually owns the bakery passes away, her sister decides her own son should run the bakery.  Which yes, is awful.  Adding to that, Selina, Tarlie's widow, has moved to Mount Polbearne and then Huckle's brother comes for a visit with disastrous results.

Can you see why it was easier just to grab the book and read it? It was definitely faster.  I enjoyed this book as much as the first one. It's a warm story where not all of the characters may wind up happy, but the resolution of the book is satisfactory.  Plus, the descriptions of Polly's baking were so well done that I wound up craving freshly baked bread.  Maybe that's not such a good thing . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment