Thursday, August 2, 2018

BELATED JULY POST: The Café by the Sea

Please note: Shirley emailed me this post and I failed to get it posted before the end of July. So, it's posted in August but goes towards our JULY totals. - Jen

The Café by the Sea by Jenny Colgan      Audiobook: 10 hrs, 8 mins       Hardback Book:  416 pages               

Another charming book by Jenny Colgan.    I have become a big fan of her work.    Being entranced with Scotland it is like visiting home right along with the lead character in the book, though, she actually is from the area, and I have only harbored a homesickness for a place I’ve never been.   The richness of the characters and places the story introduces the reader to are so vibrant.    And this gives me another location to add to my list of something I’d like to do someday – see the Northern Lights from the Western Highlands of Scotland.    Jenny Colgan always shares lovely things about the locations mentioned in her writings.   This time she talked about how one can see the Northern lights from there.   I had no idea.   I’m thinking Northern Canada and Alaska, Iceland, Finland, Norway not realizing, hey, the Vikings settled in Scotland, too and Scotland is on the longitude and latitude with those northern lands of the Danes and Finns, etc.     Another delightful read for those who enjoy comedy with their romance, exotic settings and deep rooted family and friendship ties.      Another feel good piece by the author.     She delivers dreams of the past and stories of Silkies which the lead character in the story is said to be descended from and arguments could be made for that.     Modern themes in a medieval looking land and she even includes recipes for some of the mouth watering food being prepared throughout the story.    Another great book by Jenny Colgan.    

No comments:

Post a Comment