Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Fool Moon

Fool Moon by Jim Butcher, 311 pages

Working man's wizard Harry Dresden is back, and this time he's taking on werewolves! This is the second installment in The Dresden Files, and to me, it suffers from a bit of a sophomore slump. The book starts out promising enough with a mystery and a murder, but quickly devolves into non-stop action with little explanation as Harry encounters various packs (and types) of werewolves. I had trouble keeping everything straight as I read it, and the story suffers as Dresden goes it alone, with only tenuous relationships with the police and a tabloid reporter. Dude needs a Scooby gang, pronto.

I've heard that this series gets better after Butcher hits his stride a few books in; for that reason (and the peer pressure to read it coming from my husband), I'll stick with Harry Dresden for at least a couple more cases. But if they don't get better soon, I'm ditching the wizard and finding something else to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment